Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 86 Conversations with a 3 year Old - Epicurious



"Mom, do you like me?"
"Yes, I love you."
"But do you like me?"
"I like you."
"You love me and fix food I like for me?"
"Yes, I try to fix food you like."
Smiling, "I like macaroni and chicken."

"Okay," I think, "Uncanny how a 3 year old connects the food I prepare with my love for him."

I had 2 bags of frozen okra in our freezer for a couple of years. Lacking experience with okra, I went to epicurious.com. The dinner I decided on was rated 3-1/2 stars and required a lot of unusual spices including Fennel, ground Coriander, Curry, garlic, cinnamon sticks, cayenne pepper, and Ginger. Living off one's shelves never needs to be boring if there are spices available. I have these spices! (I even found some curry in the spice tote. I wanted to learn how to do Indian cooking and bought them years ago but have not used them. Good thing we are taking this challenge to use what is on our shelves.) I will not try and copy the recipe. Epicurious.com is a great site to find recipes for any ingredient one desires to use.

Dinner Reviews: Curried Chicken legs with Okra and Potatoes Gourmet June 1999
I used Chicken Breast not legs, 1/2 the oil, and diced tomatoes blended instead of paste, and doubled the potatoes and chicken in proportion to the spice.
"You are cooking the best chicken for me?" (3 year old)
"Why cannot we eat like this when we are not on 'food storage'?" (12 year old)
"This is delicious food." (3 year old)
"This is real food." (12 year old)
"My stomach aches - something in this combination doesn't set well." (16 year old)
"This is good." (14 year old)

And my husband at 10:30 p.m. said with total awe in his voice,"What was that! You can do that again." He didn't even get a piece of chicken, someone pilfered it. He assures me he will be happy with the okra, potato mix anytime. I'll plant and harvest okra to freeze.

Breakfast: Pancakes made with wheat flour and a batch made with white flour with no eggs but a banana instead. Fluffy and satisfying.

Lunch: spaghetti with white sauce flavored with Parmesan and Mozzarella. The children were on their own and fixed this delicious meal. Pineapple was served for a side.

2 comments: