Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

83 Eggs




Eggs can be stored a long time. When I was a child my mother would buy them a case at a time (36 dozen). She would buy checks which means they were the seconds with thinner shells. They did not have high enough quality to be sold in grocery stores. The risk of salmonella is higher so she made sure to cook the eggs well before we ate them. We had scrambled eggs instead of sunny side up or easy over. I have seen eggs stacked 8 feet high in 110 degree heat on the open side walks in India. Eggs could have easily stored the 3 months, but I only purchased 10 dozen so that we could experience some real survival. Some have stored shelf stable eggs that have been coated with mineral oil and are then rotated to maintain freshness. Our family can easily use a dozen in a batch of scrambled eggs. So for fresh consumption, it is impractical for us to store large quantities of eggs. But I will make sure to have more Knox gelatin on hand after this.

I am feeling like a lacto ovo vegetarian with no fresh produce. I was feeling sorry for myself when it dawned on me that all the third world countries eat like this. Rice and beans are the staple. We enjoy a high standard of living.

Breakfast: Split pea soup - it was the only thing hot and filling. We were hungry enough to eat it while the garlic bread sticks were baking. They were delicious.

Lunch: Sushi! Thank you for the suggestion. I had forgotten I had some nori in the pantry. The children snack on it like potato chips.

Dinner: Chinese egg drop soup minus the egg. We used dried kelp in place of the spinach. This is a great dry stapple. I will get more for future use. And after three tries we succeeded in sprouting mung beans. They were crunchy and fantastic in the soup. We also had calzones with mozzarella, olives and onions and tomato sauce for dipping. Another 3 meals are prepared and eaten!!

3 comments:

  1. I remember watching a documentary on eggs one time. Before the government got really involved in their distribution, the ones that were past the shelf life would be sent to the manufacturer and sent back on the assembly line and repackaged. That led me to believe that if they were past expiration in my fridge they were fine.
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just my opinion but it used to be that eggs were fertile. There was always a rooster out there and when chickens lay they lay a nest full of eggs before they go to set. Those eggs don't spoil while she is laying one per day and even sitting on the ones already in the nest and warming them up everyday. Could it be that the unfertile eggs we get in the store don't last as long and actually will spoil? Anyway, I store dehydrated eggs. Would not be without my dehydrated eggs. Buy them from Honeyville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just an idea regarding Knox gelatin. I buy plain gelatin in bulk about $15 for 20 oz. I think that is much less expensive that Knox.

    ReplyDelete