Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 56 No more Baby formula and "Mom, I love you"


We ran out of baby formula last night. My husband went to Sams tonight and purchased 6 more pounds. I miss judged - probably because I have never used formula before no idea how much milk nine month old babies drink. So to fill in over night I mixed up the recipe my Mom used to successfully raise eight babies to a healthy adulthood with no allergies. (This recipe also saved one of my cousins that was eight months old and below her birth weight. She was being fed a formula that later was found to be deficient in just one little amino acid. The canned milk is a complete protein and haulted the failure to thrive. Sometimes, men's best intentions just don't get it right.) The recipe is 1/2 whole canned milk and 1/2 water with Karo syrup to sweeten (1 tsp per 4 ounces milk.) My baby slept longer than she has since birth only waking once at 1:30!! My husband thinks this should be repeated tonight, me too. Cows milk is not good for babies until after a year but I think that the canned milk has been denatured in the processing and is safe to use. Baby food never comes from a jar at our house. We grind just what we are eating in the hand baby food grinder and they are happy.

Breakfast: Oatmeal with cracked wheat walnuts, and tropical fruit
Lunch: leftover egg noodles heated with Velveeta cheese and tuna,
Dinner: Cassoulet. I could serve this every week. This is a great dish for weight control, diabetes, boosting iron levels, gluten intolerance, irritable bowel and it would be heart healthy if you left out or cut in half the sausage. The two or three recipes I've looked at have different ingredients. Some have beef, others pork, and chicken. All of them have white beans. Tonight I browned 8 oz pork sausage, then took the little sausage balls out of the pan and cooked chicken breast cut in strips in the pork drippings. As the chicken finished cooking, I added 1 quart thawed white beans, 2 cups diced tomatoes, 1 cup carrot slices, 1 cup chopped celery, 1 cup onions (I inadvertently left this out this time), 1 tsp minced garlic, and 1 tsp salt. The recipe said to put it in a casserole dish and bake it, but tonight we served it from the pot. My mother always said, "The best ingredient to any meal is hunger." I guess that is true because my 12 year old son came and lifted the lid. Drinking in the savory aroma he whispered,"Oh, Mom, I love you."

Dessert: Apple crisp in the crock pot made with dehydrated apples. Delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I have a 1940's baby care "manual." (Yes, they really used to hand out a manual at the hospital in the '40s!) They made formula for babies just like that!

    Good for you for testing out your food storage! We've had to live on ours for a couple of yuars before, and we often have months where we do it again (I didn't shop for the first two months of this year, and I may not be able to for a while again) due to the nature of my husband's job.

    We've learned our shortages in planning, have to come to truly appreciate our garden and the variety it gves us, and I've spent even more time canning fruit for our family, as we depend on it.

    I've learned we won't go back to cold cereal, that we needed more toothpaste, and that having a variety of food in our pantry is a real blessing!

    ReplyDelete