Search This Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 55 Deeply Disappointed


The vote on Health Care deeply disappoints me. Some of my most economical meals such as beans and rice cost less that 10 cents a plate (1/2 cup beans, and 1 cup rice with spices). Spruce up the meal with meat and cheese and I can still feed my family for 30 cents a plate. When the government taxes me, my freedom to care for my "natural right to life" is impeded. As Paul Ryan explains "Under the terms of our Constitution, every individual has a right to care for their health, just as they have a right to eat. These rights are integral to our natural right to life--and it is government's chief purpose to secure our natural rights. But the right to care for one's health does not imply that government must provide health care any more than our right to eat, in order to live, requires government to own the farms and raise the crops." That my own right to life has been jeopardized is not my chief disappointment though. The taxes the government takes, will feed less than 1 person to the 15 that I could feed with the same money. The waste is a great sadness. My daily sacrifices to stay home, manage our finances, protect my childrens' health, so that we have more to share seems to be flaunted for naught - of little value in our excessive society.

Breakfast: Oatmeal muffins - to try and use our leftover oatmeal from yesterday. Heavy, good but I will have to work with the recipe before I share it. The children made an attempt at doughnuts. This too was a little heavy but dipped in powdered sugar, the children devoured them.

Lunch: Spaghetti with Homemade sauce on wheat and white noodles
Recipe: 8 cups tomatoes (can be bottled from garden, crushed, or diced,)
1-3 TBS brown sugar
1-2 TBS basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic
1-2 TBS dried onion
Bring to boil then add 3 TBS flour or cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup water.
Return to boil. Add olives, hamburger, green peppers, sausage or chicken al gusto.

Dinner: Beef Stroganoff - I cut up one of the 2 remaining Chuck roasts, browned the meat with a large onion cut in wedges and used 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup of leftover spaghetti sauce and 1/2 cup of yogurt. Cabbage, nut and raisin salad were served as a side. My husband came home and said, "Boy, it smells good." I love being a wife.

5 comments:

  1. I am grateful that Crystal has such a wonderful way with words. I whole heartedly agree with her about healthcare. As AFP pointed out, we need only cross over into Canada to see that socialized healthcare does not work. After living in Argentina on my mission, I saw first hand how socialized medicine does not attract first rate doctors, the facilities were run down and dirty, but the politicians lived lives of extravagance. Sounds like Pelosi's dream. She spent no less than $100,000 on liquor last year. That could have insured a few families. She's obviously very concerned about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you. I'm still cheering for you. I'm learning so much from your blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I agree with you concerning health care and the government.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog via BYU Daily Universe. It is such a fabulous idea. I've always thought it would be great to go a week living on food storage without electricity when I have my own family, but to live off food storage for 3 months!!... that takes courage.

    Could you explain better how the healthcare reform jeopardizes your own right to life? Is there a section that limits lifespan to reduce costs spent on the elderly? I don't quite understand how it affects what foods you buy for your meals either. They sound like great arguments that I'd like to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Nathan, Keep reading. I'll try to answer; I wish I were a lawyer or a debater and could frame the arguments that are in my heart. Keep asking questions.

    ReplyDelete