Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 35 Whole Wheat Bread - Mom I love this Food

The wheat grinder came. We ground 8 cups of flour in about 30 minutes for our bread recipe. It looked a little course but I let the dough sit on the counter for an hour to soak up water to help the gluten develop. The bread was moist, good texture, and delicious. It is the first whole wheat bread we've had in 35 days! (Maybe that is why I have lost 6 pounds - no whole wheat bread to eat!) We'll see how diligent we are to grind flour nearly everyday.

Breakfast: Raisin Bran with whole milk. The children finished the box and asked if that was all. Two boxes are necessary to feed my family. So even at a sale price it would be a minimum of $3.80 including a half gallon of milk. It would be cheaper to cook 10 potatoes and a dozen eggs for $1.50 than serve cereal.

Lunch: Fresh wheat bread topped with refried beans and cheddar cheese. I called this a "Pioneer meal." The older children ate it but the younger ones looked wary.

Dinner: Herbed Chicken recipe from the recipes posted last week. I left out the parsley and used the spices I had: garlic and onion with salt instead of bullion. The children liked the rice. Interestingly the child that said, "Mom, I love this food." also had been very productive through the day practicing the piano, reading, pulling weeds, spelling, etc... Because she felt good about herself she was inclined to feel good about dinner as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment