Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 32 Bowel Health

Whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, especially cruciferous vegetables are recommended for good bowel health. Good bowel health means that a person is having at least one large soft bowel movement every day. ( I had to smile at a 1940's health text used for elementary children that specifically enumerated this fact and then expected them to take responsibility for their bowels by eating right not relying on a medication.) Living on white flour is like living on white sugar. That is probably why I only lasted one day before I bought a #25 bag of wheat even though we had no grinder for the challenge. (My nice electric grinder is taking a break so that I can act like I was starting from scratch.) Stools are 1/3 the size they used to be when I was eating 3-6 servings of whole wheat bread throughout the day! I am amazed at the difference in bulk. The fiber provides fodder for good bacteria which help to clean the bowel. A clean bowel is at decreased risk for cancer induced by rotting spots of stagnant feces. Regular bowel movements with high fiber also pull excess fats from the digestive tract. Food high is dietary fiber like oatmeal help to pull cholesterol and fatty deposits from the circulatory system. This helps improve cardiovascular function. The high fiber found in whole grains also helps to regulate blood sugar by slowing the absorption of carbohydrates into the blood stream. That means energy is sustained through out the day. Combining all these factors decreased risk for cancer, heart disease, and diabetes means a significantly healthier individual. And in my opinion - I have heard some data indicating ADHD is improved by diets lower in sugar - psychological health is also improved. I feel there would be less depression if people would eat whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables. More hope and energy would fill the world. The work required to prepare them is half the therapy. I am excited to get the hand grinder to start using whole wheat flour. Until then, the 25 pounds of oatmeal will be our staple for whole grains.

Breakfast: Fried Potatoes and ham
Lunch:Leftover Spanish Rice, bread and Peanut butter
Snacks: apples
Dinner: Macaroni and cheese and hot dogs

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if people who eat whole grain bread don't get appendicitis. (my son had his appendix removed when he was 2 & 1/2-it really disrupted his potty training!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think so because I am 70 years old and have eaten whole grains my entire life. Appendix are still fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant that my son doesn't eat whole grain bread. But if he did, would his appendix still be intact/uninfected?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question. I have only known one other child who had an appendicitis and his family ate a lot of whole grains. It seemed to be a fluke. Sorry to hear of that trial at your house. Hope all is well now.

    ReplyDelete