Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day 4 Obesity in America

Over 30% of Americans are obese. It is hard to store enough food to support undisciplined eating habits that make us fat. In order to plan an adequate amount of food, to balance food groups, to ensure I am providing good nutrition to my children and in some cases limit caloric intake, the meal plan I am using for each meal is 2 servings carbohydrate (breads, pasta, potatoes), 2 oz proteins (eggs, meat, tuna), 1 cup milk, 2 serving fruit (1/2 banana, 1 small apple), 2 fat exchanges (1 tsp butter, or about 5 grams of fat each), finally, vegetables are free. Calories will range from 1800 to 2400 depending on fat content of the meat and milk. For a lower caloric intake 1 carbohydrate, 1 protein, 1 cup milk, 1 fruit, 1 fat and free vegetables served for all three meals and a snack. Calories range from 1100 to 1500. This is a rough guide not a diet. The whole goal of learning how to use whole grains, legumes, and cook from scratch is to help us build a healthy lifestyle physically, emotionally, and socially.

As I prepared lunch of tuna sandwiches with grated Granny Smith apple added and a lettuce leaf on home made white bread toasted, my 12 year old told me about the campout last night. After thirty minutes of fluent description, I had to smile. I am so glad the kitchen captured me so that he could share his adventures. I do not know if grabbing lunch at McDonald's would have created the same intimate setting to tell Mom all about his life.

There would be less obesity if more people enjoyed nurturing emotional care at home while nourishing their bodies with healthy food.

2 comments:

  1. I just don't get it at all. We have no idea what you are buying, what it is costing or how you are making it work for meals. How can we learn anything from this? Might as well just say that you bought groceries and ate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the clarification. I'll be more specific.

    ReplyDelete