Search This Blog

Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 16 One more meal - Life's Best Moments

This morning as I fried onions and baked bread, filling the house with enticing aromas starting at 5:30 a.m., I wondered again, what exactly was I doing? Mixing white bread by hand seems a little foolish when I have a 24 quart Hobart Mixer sitting in my garage and tons of wheat and a wheat grinder sitting unused. I found myself admitting that no one would probably do this unless they were compelled to through budget constrains or unemployment. It is humbling. I feel so dependent on God to create a miracle every morning so that there is bread for lunches and food for children. Quickly on the heels of that thought came the realization that God will have a humble people in this great country that He has birthed and preserved. We will all be compelled to be humble sooner or later. It will be easier to humble myself and use the time I have to learn and teach my children.

Preparing satisfying meals with a wealth of supplies seemed easy compared to preparing satisfying meals with very little on the shelves. It doesn't change the absolutes though. Children thrive when families unite. The mealtime is a great place and time to be together. Husbands like food that is filling and tastes good - not necessarily fancy just home cooking. Self esteem, good physical health, psychological well being, family finances, and personal independence are all benefited by preparing one more meal. Maybe in times of trial when unemployment or budget constrains pull the hardest it is more than critical to protect the family individually and collectively with some home cooking.

As my son come home from after grueling work hours he chimed, "My companian today smelled the bread on my sandwich and commented that he hadn't smelled that kind of bread before. He replied, 'Yep, It's my Mom's.'"

I'm grateful for every small oasis in his life even if it is only a fresh slice of bread. 5:30 a.m. is a small price to pay.

Breakfast: Fried potatoes with onions and chicken, whole wheat blender pancakes, leftover rice pudding, milk and fresh fruit.
Lunch: Macaroni and cheese with coleslaw (shredded cabbage, grated carrots, 2 TBS salad dressing, with 2 tsp sugar 1 TBS vinegar and pinch of salt)
Dinner: Garlic pasta with sugared carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment